FAREWELL TO FOOD CRAVINGS
What is a craving?
Craving: a powerful desire for something
Today we are going to chat about beating food cravings.
Everyone has moments of vulnerability when they change something big in their life whether it be moving house, having a baby or giving up smoking. This is a part of the experience of being human.
It only natural that when you embark on a new exercise and wellness plan that there will be days when you crave your old favourite comfort food – pizza, ice-cream, muffins or hot chips on a cold winters day!
These are cravings and the reality is that the foods you crave are the very foods that will undermine your fitness goals of exercise and good nutrition. I believe strict and rigid diets and even calling it DIET can make you crave the foods you are trying so hard at eliminating from your life.
You can control your cravings – although this seems hard when you are in the middle of a craving session!! Consciously acknowledging and working through your cravings will make you stronger and more committed to fitness. Plus I promise you they wont last! In a few weeks your mind and body will be reprogrammed to crave beautiful real food that nourishes your body. It's a; about feeding your body nutrient dense food types and getting good quality sleep and a fitness program that suits your lifestyle.
In the meantime here is a few simple ideas.
Here are few suggestions as craving busters – however remember PORTION SIZES! Don’t over eat or all your hard work will be undermined!
Go for a walk and listen to a podcast
Drink a big glass of warm water with lemon or make a herb tea
Do the ironing!!
Get busy in the garden – sweep the paths, rake the lawn – whatever it takes!!
Ring a friend for support
Do some simple yoga poses
Read a book or magazine
Look at your before photo for inspiration and strength
Fresh fruit – bananas – apples, kiwi fruit, watermelon, orange ,beetroot– blend into a smoothie
2 x medjool dates – good for digestion and blood pressure. Fresh not dried dates
Apple with nut butter – creamy and crunchy
1 x dried fig
LIquorice tea is great for a sweet craving
5 x raisins and 5 x macdamia nuts
Sunflower seeds baked or dehydrated with tamari sauce and sea salt
5 – 10 natural almonds
5 – 10 tamari almonds – high in fibre and protein
roasted chickpeas. Drain a can of chickpeas and dry them. Then roast in oven with sea salt, olive oil and black pepper for 30 – 40 mins. Makes a great crunchy snack
spinach, celery, lemon, chia seeds, apple , carrot, ginger– blend into a smoothei
grainy/wholemeal rye or gluten free home made toast with avocado and sliced tomato, fresh basil leaves, cashew nut cream
oven baked sweet potato chips
oats –plus a scoop of vegan protein powder, mix with water, with ¼ banana and 5 x blueberries and honey.
Cravings pass I promise!!
Continuing to support you on your fitness journey!
NICKY ARTHUR A world renowned Fitness & Yoga Coach who started her journey 20 years ago in a hippy and rustic Ashtanga Yoga studio in Dunedin, New Zealand. Now a Certified Iyenger and Bikram Yoga Teacher and Fitness Coach has helped lead thousands of people to Yoga.
Have you had a massive week! Restoring your temple and your mind is everything for living life with passion and VITALITY.
We all need a little mood boosting from time to time.
These Tips are practical and they work.
Mood Booster Techniques
Control the direction of your thinking- choose to identify and eliminate negative thoughts from your mind.
1. Choose your peer group wisely-they can either lift you up or tear you down. Be bold and be honest in your assessment of your circle of influence.
2. Get plenty of quality sleep- invest in a comfortable mattress, pillows, soft sheets and tranquil thoughts. Use the mediation CDs to help you relax and to clear your mind before sleep.
3. De-clutter your space- an organised environment at home and at work results in an increased sense of calmness.
4. Keep your work and home environment bright and airy- light increases serotonin levels and lifts mood. An airy environment helps increase oxygen flow and energy levels.
5. Listen to uplifting music- Music is the ultimate mood changer. It can take you from the depths of listlessness to the heights of exhilaration. Invest in an ipod or MP3 player with your favorite mood booster play lists on it. Try Wilson Phillips 'Hold On', Savage Garden 'Affirmation', your favourite band, or embrace some yoga music such as 'Deva Premal', spiritual, sensuous and relaxing.
6. Stay aware of your body language- posture and facial expressions are powerful influences on the brain's neuro-transmitters, so walk tall, sit straight and smile!
7. Take a break and do something different- just doing something different will help break the state that you're in (e.g. if you've been working on the computer for a long period, just get up and walk around or try having a fresh glass of cold water or telling a joke).
8. Use the power of visualization- we can re-live a previous highlight or future utopia (and its associated positive emotions) at any stage by using the creative energy of our minds.
9. Look for reasons to laugh- the act of laughing, or even faking a laugh can elevate mood levels significantly. It is my mission to make people laugh again and be happy!
10 Aromatherapy-when lavender and rosemary scent oils are emitted from an oil diffuser, people tend to feel more contented and relaxed. Try my blend at night of geranium and lavender oil.
11. Massage-touch creates measurable changes in brain wave activity. Treat yourself to a professional massage or get your partner to stimulate energy flow and mood through massage.
12. Engage in acts of kindness- helping others not only makes us feel good, but it helps other people to feel better, because they see that you care about them.
13. Nutrition- You are what you eat. A healthy diet will provide you with more energy and vitality.
14. Get out and about around Nature. Research has noted that spending time at around trees helps increase good quality oxygen to your body.
For me this is my number one too along with yoga & meditation. 👌🏻🌾
Let me introduce myself, I’m Nicky Arthur International Author, Yoga and Fitness Coach, Vegan specialist, & Fitness Model Competitor, above all a mother of two beautiful healthy energetic young girls. For me that’s my most prized accomplishment. However, being a Mum and juggling it all can be challenging. But it doesn't necessarily mean you have to stop setting your own goals and dreams.
I love physical challenges and yoga has taught me the power of your mind. Often the mind stops you from doing the exercises than the body, are bodies are much stronger & flexible than we think and our minds are even more powerful.
My work is based on helping women and mums transform their body and life.
The 10 week Body Transformation program is aimed to help you look fit & healthy but more importantly feel good in the inside. I have the right recipe ticking all the right boxes for living a holistic, drug free, pain free happy exciting satisfied life. It is not just about weight loss, or fitness, it is about internal health and happiness, learning how your body works. In 10 weeks. I provide you with a plan, the tools and help you to you dream body so you can live your own dream life.