Yoga may be the fountain of youth, I was blessed to begin my own path in my 20’s but it’s definitely not just for youth.
Some yogis come to yoga when they’re young, fit, and healthy just like me. I was competing in body building competitions and needed it for mind body soul.
But as our bodies change with injury and the ageing of time, yoga can serve us even more and help us maintain health and vitality into our golden years. I know within my own practice I need it more and more as I age.
Our practice should change + evolve with our body’s needs + lifestyle.
If you started practicing in your 20s, you were probably drawn to faster-paced flow-style yoga, I certainly was! Vinyasa or flow yoga is the most common yoga Ashtanga based. This type of yoga moves quickly, and it’s as much of a cardio workout as it is a yoga practice. It’s a fun practice that offers sweat, like Bikram in the hot room.
As we move into our late 20s and 30s, it becomes crucial to build strength in the glutes and core.
In your 30s, years of sitting at a desk for work or school may start to take a toll. Or long lengths of standing like I was when I ran my hair salons.
In our 30s and 40s, major life changes occur. I can certainly say that.
Some of us will balance families, work elderly parents, hormonal imbalances, and increasing job pressure.
It’s important that we focus on relaxation during these often-stressful years. Adding in yin based or restoration yoga poses can create balance.
Your 40s are a perfect time to start a more focused meditation practice. Research shows that in addition to lowering stress levels, a regular meditation practice can offer anti-ageing properties.
Women in their mid 40s will begin to have hormone shifts: gentle yoga and meditation can be
the antidote to changing moods and energy levels.
Our 50s are all about balance, and a focus on balance poses is especially helpful.
Poses that strengthen the abductors and outer hips are crucial. Side plank is one helpful pose for this kind of hip strength. It can be modified with the bottom knee down on the earth for more support and it can be made more challenging if the top leg is raised up. Traditional standing balance poses, like tree pose and warrior III should be regularly practiced, too, since the only way to get better at balance is to practice.
Psychologically, facing the ageing years of 50 can feel like a major life milestone. Breath work such as pranayama and Nidra Breathing exercise can help with anxiety at this point of mid life,
As we move into our 60s and beyond, health concerns take precedence when deciding what yoga practice to do.
I know yoga is part of my life forever and can already see the different styles I have been drawn to throughout my 20's, 30's and 40's
PS my next blog I will dive deeper into the different styles I have certified in and practiced throughout my life.
Nicky Arthur 🙏🏻
Live life with passion, health & vitality
Remember to vote for me today for the Miss Jetset Cover competition, this round is tough and every vote will help.
NICKY ARTHUR A world renowned Fitness & Yoga Coach who started her journey 20 years ago in a hippy and rustic Ashtanga Yoga studio in Dunedin, New Zealand. Now a Certified Iyenger and Bikram Yoga Teacher and Fitness Coach has helped lead thousands of people to Yoga.
Have you had a massive week! Restoring your temple and your mind is everything for living life with passion and VITALITY.
We all need a little mood boosting from time to time.
These Tips are practical and they work.
Mood Booster Techniques
Control the direction of your thinking- choose to identify and eliminate negative thoughts from your mind.
1. Choose your peer group wisely-they can either lift you up or tear you down. Be bold and be honest in your assessment of your circle of influence.
2. Get plenty of quality sleep- invest in a comfortable mattress, pillows, soft sheets and tranquil thoughts. Use the mediation CDs to help you relax and to clear your mind before sleep.
3. De-clutter your space- an organised environment at home and at work results in an increased sense of calmness.
4. Keep your work and home environment bright and airy- light increases serotonin levels and lifts mood. An airy environment helps increase oxygen flow and energy levels.
5. Listen to uplifting music- Music is the ultimate mood changer. It can take you from the depths of listlessness to the heights of exhilaration. Invest in an ipod or MP3 player with your favorite mood booster play lists on it. Try Wilson Phillips 'Hold On', Savage Garden 'Affirmation', your favourite band, or embrace some yoga music such as 'Deva Premal', spiritual, sensuous and relaxing.
6. Stay aware of your body language- posture and facial expressions are powerful influences on the brain's neuro-transmitters, so walk tall, sit straight and smile!
7. Take a break and do something different- just doing something different will help break the state that you're in (e.g. if you've been working on the computer for a long period, just get up and walk around or try having a fresh glass of cold water or telling a joke).
8. Use the power of visualization- we can re-live a previous highlight or future utopia (and its associated positive emotions) at any stage by using the creative energy of our minds.
9. Look for reasons to laugh- the act of laughing, or even faking a laugh can elevate mood levels significantly. It is my mission to make people laugh again and be happy!
10 Aromatherapy-when lavender and rosemary scent oils are emitted from an oil diffuser, people tend to feel more contented and relaxed. Try my blend at night of geranium and lavender oil.
11. Massage-touch creates measurable changes in brain wave activity. Treat yourself to a professional massage or get your partner to stimulate energy flow and mood through massage.
12. Engage in acts of kindness- helping others not only makes us feel good, but it helps other people to feel better, because they see that you care about them.
13. Nutrition- You are what you eat. A healthy diet will provide you with more energy and vitality.
14. Get out and about around Nature. Research has noted that spending time at around trees helps increase good quality oxygen to your body.
For me this is my number one too along with yoga & meditation. 👌🏻🌾
Let me introduce myself, I’m Nicky Arthur International Author, Yoga and Fitness Coach, Vegan specialist, & Fitness Model Competitor, above all a mother of two beautiful healthy energetic young girls. For me that’s my most prized accomplishment. However, being a Mum and juggling it all can be challenging. But it doesn't necessarily mean you have to stop setting your own goals and dreams.
I love physical challenges and yoga has taught me the power of your mind. Often the mind stops you from doing the exercises than the body, are bodies are much stronger & flexible than we think and our minds are even more powerful.
My work is based on helping women and mums transform their body and life.
The 10 week Body Transformation program is aimed to help you look fit & healthy but more importantly feel good in the inside. I have the right recipe ticking all the right boxes for living a holistic, drug free, pain free happy exciting satisfied life. It is not just about weight loss, or fitness, it is about internal health and happiness, learning how your body works. In 10 weeks. I provide you with a plan, the tools and help you to you dream body so you can live your own dream life.